Friday, January 19, 2007

Handmaidens at Agra



Entering the Taj Mahal precincts involves a looooong wait. Stephen and I stood outside for about 30 minutes, even though several touts were promising 'instant' entry. My first thought: this was a serious security hazard! When the stupid guards made me run up and down to place our mobile phones in the locker, I wasn't very supportive of the security measures however!

Once we got inside, though, the view changed my mind.





The Taj Mahal has this gigantic red sandstone gate leading up to it, which is majestic in its own right, with its taaaaaaaalllll and intricately done ceiling.

Flanking it on two sides are two red sandstone buildings, which provide a colour contrast to the white marble: the assembly hall and the mosque. Mirror images.


Spot the beehive up there!


Marvellous work on the ceilings, despite the beehive - and there's some restoration work going on there, too.


Took the same picture below twice - experimenting with light settings. I quite like both, actually :).


No comments: